I committed to writing a blog post every day this month, but today, I just don’t know what to write about. I hosted a sleepover for my 11-year-old last night, and had to get at 2:30 to make the loudest possible shushing noise I could. I’m not sure it worked, but I’m also not sure how those small people have so much energy this morning. Today: the water park. Tomorrow: an 8:00 am flight to NYC. A lot going on, but it’s not that inspiring to write about.
Here’s what you write about when you don’t know what to write about:
- Write about not knowing what to write about. Just write down that fact and what is surrounding you in your life that is preventing you from having ideas.
- You make a list. Start with all the things you have to do, and then all the things you want to do. Let it spin out from there.
- Go check your social media accounts and see if anyone posted anything you want to react to, or see if the pictures and experiences of others triggers any ideas for you.
- Time travel to the past and start a list in your notebook called Blog Post Ideas. You can check that list today and start writing something from that. If you haven’t mastered time travel yet, then find a clean page in your notebook and title it “Blog Post Ideas.” Leave it blank if you must, but remember it’s there next time you have an extra idea to lay down.
- Go back and read your old blog posts. Anything in there you want to react to, reinterpret or just straight up re-post?
- Identify an area of your expertise and apply it to something.
- Other writers recommend using Quora or other Q&A websites to see what people are asking about. I haven’t done this yet, but I’m putting it on the list for the next time I can’t think of anything to write about.
Voila! I wrote a blog post even though I didn’t have anything to write about. Now I’m off to the water park!